[User-committee] UC candidacy

Yih Leong, Sun. yihleong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:31:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

Please accept this email as my self-nomination as a candidate for the User
Committee (UC).

The mission of UC is to serve OpenStack user community and present their
needs to the Board of Directors, Technical Committee and Projects [1]. It
is important to note the diverse range of OpenStack users from various
markets, industries and countries, each has different sets of requirements,
regulations and interests.

I have the opportunity to work for various projects that span across
multiple areas (Media, Financial, Academic/Research, Telecommunication, IT)
for 17 years. It is a great experience for me to live and work in countries
like Malaysia, Singapore, UK (Belfast) and USA (San Jose, Portland). I am
currently a Senior Software Cloud Architect for Intel's Open Source
Technology Center. Prior to joining Intel, I have been a Principal Engineer
and Technical Lead for large enterprises as well as start-up companies. I
began my cloud journey since 2007 where I started to develop distributed
application for Amazon Web Services (AWS). I also built a research cloud
with OpenNebula. My experience with OpenStack started in 2011 when I was
working on my PhD for multi-cloud orchestration.

Over the past 3 years, my accomplishment related to OpenStack includes:
- deployed OpenStack Private Cloud in lab, POC and production environment
- integrated OpenStack Ironic in a High Performance Computing context
- led Enterprise Working Group: authored 2 OpenStack eBooks [2, 3] (the 3rd
eBook is brewing) and Workload Reference Architectures (Web Application
[4], Big Data [5])
- core reviewer of Product Working Group and collaboratively drive the
development of bare-metal user story [6] and others.
- OpenStack Innovation Center (OSIC) Governance Board member [7]
- and more...

It is great to see the "One Platform" goal as presented in OpenStack board
meeting [8]. If elected as a member of UC, I would like to focus on the
following two objectives in 2017, by aligning UC activities with the Board
and TC in order to create such platform that meets the user and market
needs:
1. Foster and create an open and effective collaboration environment for
users, operators, working groups and developers, ensuring feedback from
various sources are communicated
2. Encourage global contribution to UC working groups across enterprises,
service providers and telco from different countries

I am a strong believer of teamwork. The mission of UC and the above tasks
cannot be accomplished without your help. Given my background in the
enterprise context and experience with OpenStack as an operator, immersed
in multiple cultures and bilingual in English and Chinese, I believe I am a
good candidate for User Committee! :)

Thank you for considering my candidacy!

Regards,
Yih *Leong* Sun, PhD (宋毅良)

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/uc/reference/charter.html
[2] https://openstack.org/assets/pdf-downloads/business-perspectives.pdf
[3] https://openstack.org/assets/path-to-cloud/OpenStack-
6x9Booklet-online.pdf
[4] https://www.openstack.org/software/sample-configs/#web-applications
[5] https://www.openstack.org/software/sample-configs/#big-data
[6] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-user-
stories/user-stories/proposed/baremetal-service.html
[7] https://github.com/osic/osic-clouds#osic-cluster-governance-board
[8] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2017-January/002464.html