[User-committee] [app] which apps and devs are we targeting?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Jan 20 23:51:35 UTC 2016

On 01/19/2016 11:44 AM, Christopher Aedo wrote:
> In our meeting yesterday I had some questions about who we are
> targeting with the "first OpenStack application" effort[3], and on the
> call there was agreement that this is still unclear.  I spent some
> time looking through the mailing list archives as well but did not
> find anything definitive (though PLEASE point me at any conversations
> I've missed on this topic).

I don't recall many conversations on that topic but the target of the
guide is defined on the guide itself:

	This guide is for experienced software developers who want to
	deploy applications to OpenStack clouds.

	If you are familiar with OpenStack but have not created a cloud
	application in general or an OpenStack application in
	particular, this section teaches you how to program with
	OpenStack components.

> I'm hoping on this thread we can get clarity around the particular app
> and app developer we hope will benefit from this work.  Mainly that's
> because OpenStack is at it's heart an IaaS, not a PaaS.

Indeed, one of the things I noticed in the report is the praise for
Azure and its integration with git: OpenStack doesn't do that and
probably never will.

> My take is that we are targeting very large scale apps (at the far
> extreme, think Netflix) vs. your typical LAMP stack (a low-volume
> Wordpress blog for instance).  If that is the scale we're talking
> about, agreeing on that will better inform the guidance we provide to
> the developers.
>
> Alternatively, if we're thinking of smaller apps expected to be
> available in a marketplace (like https://apps.openstack.org), that
> will obviously impact our message and guidance.

You presented these options as mutually exclusive: I'm not sure that's
your intention... I don't think they are: this group has the opportunity
to provide inspirations to both groups of developers and deployers.

The first app tutorial is only one of the many tools we can use for
that. I think more basic howtos describing real-world applications (even
a basic Wordpress setup, for example) may contribute to getting more
developers interested in using OpenStack. The Workload Reference
Architecture will hopefully provide content along these lines.

/stef