[Product] [roadmap] Question on including senlin into the roadmap

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Fri Oct 21 11:32:53 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the info.  I would be very keen to meet with the Senlin
team again this summit and continue to discuss VM HA.  I think there
are different sides to the problem, since we need to allow policies
regarding failure detection and automatic recovery to be specified by
both users and operators:

  - Recovery from failures at the compute node level is mainly the
    concern of the operators (typically requires fencing which could
    affect multiple projects), but we still need to notify the users
    somehow.

  - Recovery from failures of a VM's virtual hardware might be a
    shared responsibility between both operators and users.

  - Failures within the VM are purely the concern of the user, and the
    operator does not need to know about them.

The specs which we are currently working on should clarify this in
much more detail.  It would be great to have input from the Senlin
team, since the goal is a modular, converged upstream design which
should allow all implementations to integrate together in a clean and
future-proof way.

I will try to attend at least one of the Senlin presentations, but
hopefully we can also find a timeslot to meet and discuss in more
detail.  Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Regards,
Adam