[Product] Dev discussion on "stabilization" efforts the Prod WG should follow, discuss and maybe weigh in on

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Fri Jan 22 23:51:49 UTC 2016

there is a current discussion on the dev list that should be of particular interest to the members of the Product Working group:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/084564.html

It is a discussion on how to organize/support/implement stabilization efforts in OpenStack projects.  I weighed in here:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/084682.html

One of the important aspects of this discussion is that developers need support from their companies to work on stabilization rather than feature development.   We should be able to help on this, providing visibility back into our companies, writing user stories that include specific targets for the -ilities the user story needs to meet as part of its success criteria, etc.

But we should also be able to help by being the conduit between the projects and the corporations by prioritizing pain points and corporate needs in non-functional areas and presenting the user stories and/or specs, etc. to get these needs into the format the projects use to prioritize the work for each development cycle.  And we should be able to get developer commitments from our companies for these "stabilization" efforts.

So, how could we help?  How should we help?  How should we participate in both this discussion and this effort?

--Rocky