[Product] [OpenStack][Product Work Group] User Story Prioritization, PTL Socialization Proposal and Design Summit Prep Proposal

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Fri Jul 3 11:09:31 UTC 2015

On 2 July 2015 at 22:48, Barrett, Carol L <carol.l.barrett at intel.com> wrote:
> Team - I took the AR in our last team meeting to send out the user story prioritization criteria and approach to socializing with PTLS that we discussed, to get more feedback to shape the proposal. I have also take a swag at the next steps after we get agreement from the PTLs on the top priority user-stories.

So I can help start the process of PTL feedback, if that helps...

> We discussed 3 criteria for prioritizing user stories:
> o       Cross Project User Stories (requiring BPs in multiple projects)

+1
Helping co-ordinate these is awesome stuff.

> o       Address needs of multiple market-segments (Enterprise, HPC, Telco, etc)

I think "address key blockers to adoption" might be a better way to
express that. But I don't have the context here.

> o       Can be implemented in M-development cycle (I have some reservations about this one, in that this may cause us to select less impactful user stories)

-1
I think having you folks prefer to track the larger efforts that span
multiple development cycles would be more useful to me. Those are the
things were its easy to loose track of what you were trying to fix in
the first place.

Now you totally might not want to start with those, and thats totally cool.

> When all of the user stories are posted to the Repo, so that people can review and comment on them, we'll create a score sheet (posted to the repo too?) where each user-story will be scored against the above criteria. When the review/comment period is over, we'll review the outcome of this in a team meeting and select the top 3-5 user stories & Themes that we want to use for the M-design summit pilot. Ideally, we will have a volunteer to lead the analysis and design summit prep activity for each of the select user stories at this time.

Nova has over 100 feature request (specs) in review for liberty, after
having got around 50 merged already. Thats my way of saying we might
need a bigger list, over time. But clearly we have to start somewhere,
so maybe 5 or 10 is a good place to start.

> Once we have the prioritized list and our top 3-5 identified, we will review the entire list with the PTLs in the cross-project team meeting to get their feedback, and adjust priorities as needed to finalize an agreed upon set with the PTLs.

Have you spoken to defcore folks about the interop issues they are identifying?

I think their interop work is one of the most impactful things that is
very cross-project (in places), and could do with some user
perspective thinking. For example, they are looking at how does a user
know what public IP address their VM has, and how to get that public
IP address. Another is what does it mean to complete the list of
images between clouds.

> Next this team will need to determine what CPLs we want to establish and recruit volunteers. From there, the User Story owner will work with the CPLs and others to analyze the user story, identify gaps, develop BPs and develop an implementation tracker.
>
> Pls send your thoughts to improve the approach to this ML and we can discuss/finalize (hopefully) in our next team meeting.

I think it would be good to have some context for these user stories,
like some common descriptions of our users. (I know the UX folks are
building personas, I have lost touch with that process). I think just
some very basic stuff, would be a good start.

Like we talk about deployment scenarios:

Micro cloud:
single type of user (Deployer and Service user, self-service debug)

Larger public or private cloud:
Operator/Deployer/Administrator (deploys and maintains)
Service user group Admin (use APIs, horizon)
Service user group Member (use APIs, horizon)
Support (partial admin that helps users)

The other thing is maybe basic types of Service users, something like:
* cloud native app, bootstrapping
* cloud native app, backing
* dev/test and CI environments
* running pets in the cloud, used to traditional server virt
* hybrid solution (mix VMs and trove, or VMs and external systems, etc)
* ... etc, etc

Now thats totally Nova focused, but hopefully that gives some ideas
about what I am think

Thanks,
John