[Product] Tap as a service [telco] [nfv] [neutron]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Dec 19 02:50:25 UTC 2014

An important decision needs to be made about a feature for Neutron,
originally proposed by Ericsson. It's the kind of feature that this
group may have opinions to express:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96149/

Armando (one of the core reviewers) said:

> To me the biggest concerns are: a) Whether this is part of Neutron
> core or not; I lean for the latter; b) What can we do to address the
>  security implications; allowing government agencies to have a free
> lunch by design seems like a subtle way of killing the adoption of
> OpenStack-based public clouds.

To which one of the proposers replied:

> In my humble opinion, this service plugin should be a part of a core
> Neutron deployment. One of the most important and obvious role it
> plays (outside its ability to enable traffic monitoring for security
> and data analytics) is providing the necessary visibility for
> troubleshooting network related problems in an OpenStack cloud
> environment. Tenants who are going about the process of creating
> complex virtual network topologies and deploying VMs on them, will
> really appreciate having such a handy debugging aid available (and
> ready for use) as part of the base Neutron service.
>
> Almost all modern virtual switches provide port mirroring support
> that is built into their respective feature sets. This service
> plugin is attempting to offer similar capability for OpenStack
> tenant virtual networks.

If anyone in this group has a strong opinion on this feature, please go
and comment now.