[Product] An "Operations Project" and the questions it raises.

Roland Chan roland at aptira.com
Thu Dec 11 14:12:01 UTC 2014

Short answer: Dunno.

I need to spend more time thinking but I would suggest that technical side
metrics do OK, perhaps with the wrong focus. What is the be simplest metric
of quality? Again, dunno, but a hi-res smoothed features vs bugs graph
might illuminate. One could model life cycle costs per feature in a closed
environment more easily, but perhaps in a meritocracy one might see a
greater acceptance of measuring success in terms of net problems solved vs
created. I'm happy to be the first over the parapet on that question in the
new year.

On the customer side: Aside from surveys, which are not statistically
significant samples, how do we elicit valuable user feedback?

I doubt that and I understand that public cloud operators will not give us
verbatim customer feedback. But having the only feedback filtered through
the prism of a provider's dev organisation is surely insufficient.

I will be away from the coalface next week, Tristan-willing, so I can spend
some more time pondering.

My general advice is to step back from OpenStack and think about your
customers. Stop thinking about how many times you have prevented your
customers from seeing problems because of your awesomeness and start
thinking about how the platform can help you if it were to improve.

In the end, if we are competing on masking OpenStack problems we all lose.
Implicit to that is a better Enterprise play, but I'll get there next year.

If we compete on adding value to OpenStack's base value then we win. Well,
some of us will. Especially those than aren't playing the OpenStack game
defensively.

Roland