[Openstack] [nova]Capacity discrepancy between command line and MySQL query

Risto Vaaraniemi ristovvtt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:29:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 5:12 PM Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/27/2018 09:40 AM, Risto Vaaraniemi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to migrate a guest to another host but it failed with a
> > message saying there's not enough capacity on the target host even
> > though the server should me nearly empty.
> >
> > I did make a few attempts to resize the guest that now runs on
> > compute1 but for some reason they failed and by default the resize
> > tries to restart the resized guest on a different host (compute1).
> > In the end I was able to do the resize on the same host (compute2).
> > I was wondering if the resize attempts messed up the compute1 resource
> > management.
>
> Very likely, yes.
>
> Have you tried restarting the nova-compute services on both compute
> nodes and seeing whether the placement service tries to adjust
> allocations upon restart?
>
> Also, please check the logs on the nova-compute workers looking for any
> warnings or errors related to communication with placement.

I tried restarting but that didn't help.

In the end, I was able to solve the situation by making a backup image
of the guest that caused the problem and re-creating the guest with the same
flavor. From the placement outputs I could see that it was the the guest
allocation that was wrong for some reason. The host did not have any extra
hanging allocations after that.

Thanks for your time, anyway. :)

BR,
Risto