[Openstack] [nova] Nova-scheduler: when are filters applied?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:56:59 UTC 2018

On 09/03/2018 07:27 AM, Eugen Block wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> To echo what cfriesen said, if you set your allocation ratio to 1.0,
>> the system will not overcommit memory. Shut down instances consume
>> memory from an inventory management perspective. If you don't want any
>> danger of an instance causing an OOM, you must set you
>> ram_allocation_ratio to 1.0.
>
> let's forget about the scheduler, I'll try to make my question a bit
> clearer.
>
> Let's say I have a ratio of 1.0 on my hypervisor, and let it have 24 GB
> of RAM available, ignoring the OS for a moment. Now I launch 6
> instances, each with a flavor requesting 4 GB of RAM, that would leave
> no space for further instances, right?
> Then I shutdown two instances (freeing 8 GB RAM) and create a new one
> with 8 GB of RAM, the compute node is full again (assuming all instances
> actually consume all of their RAM).
> Now I boot one of the shutdown instances again, the compute node would
> require additional 4 GB of RAM for that instance, and this would lead to
> OOM, isn't that correct? So a ratio of 1.0 would not prevent that from
> happening, would it?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "shut down an instance". Perhaps
this is what is leading to confusion. I consider "shutting down an
instance" to be stopping or suspending an instance.

As I mentioned below, shutdown instances consume memory from an
inventory management perspective. If you stop or suspend an instance on
your host, that instance is still consuming the same amount of memory in
the placement service. You will *not* be able to launch a new instance
on that same compute host *unless* your allocation ratio is >1.0.

Now, if by "shut down an instance", you actually mean "terminate an
instance" or possibly "shelve and then offload an instance", then that
is a different thing, and in both of *those* cases, resources are
released on the compute host.

Best,
-jay