[Openstack] setup private cloud environment

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 23:28:40 UTC 2018

Recommendation: Use the installation tutorials on docs.openstack.org.
They start with a two-node cloud, but depending on how you want to use
your three boxes, it should be no problem extending the setup to three.
This will be a very manual setup, time-consuming but with a great
learning effect.

There are several automatic or semi-automatic deployment tools that you
should evaluate: Packstack (very easy), Kolla and Kolla-Ansible,
OpenStack-Ansible. The latter two may require more power than a typical
PC delivers. Their advantage: They can set up highly available clouds.

Devstack is another solution. I don't know how hard it is to extend a
single-node setup to three nodes. Since Devstack's purpose is
development and testing, it doesn't really focus on robustness.

Triple-O is probably not for you, as it requires servers with IPMI
interface. But there are ways to virtualize IPMI, so that you should
evaluate this method as well.

I am sure there are other methods. One thing to consider: Setting up an
OpenStack cloud is not like installing a typical Linux box. There are
many (many!) moving parts and many (many!) opportunities to make
mistakes. Keep that in mind and don't give up.

Bernd Bausch