[Openstack] IO flow on multi-node setup

Tushar Tyagi ttml at fastmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:50:34 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have a requirement to create a multi node setup with Controller, Compute and Storage nodes on different machines.

In case I create a virtual machine on the compute node, it's going to be provisioned by the Controller node and the storage is going to be provided by the Storage node. In case I require any more volumes, the same are going to be provisioned by the Storage node, and then can be attached to the VM.

I wanted to know will the IO requests from Compute to Storage node go via Controller or will these be direct? In case it's the former, how much performance impact will be there due to the added redirection?

Thanks,
Tushar