[Openstack] [Nova][Glance] Nova imports flat images from base file despite ceph backend

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Fri Oct 12 21:50:27 UTC 2018

Hi Melanie,

thanks for your response.

I would consider this thread as closed. After I learned that nova
imports flat images if the image's disk-format is not "raw" I tested
some different scenarios to understand more about this topic. I still
couldn't explain why nova did that in the specific case as I was sure
the image's format was raw (the image has been deleted in the meantime
but I can see in the database that the image's disk-format was indeed
"raw").

But a couple of days ago I encountered the same problem. I tried to
upload an image from volume via Horizon dashboard (where a dropdown
exists to choose disk-format) and the preselected value was indeed
"qcow2" instead of "raw". I have no idea *why* it was different from
the default "raw" but this could have happened last week, too, althoug
according to the database entry it should not have happened. Anyway,
now I know the reason why some ephemeral disks are flat, I just can't
tell how Horizon selects the format, but that's enough research for
now. If I find out more I'll report back.

Thanks again!
Regards,
Eugen