[Openstack] [PackStack][Cinder] On which node OpenStack store data of each instance

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:01:47 UTC 2018

OpenStack stores volumes wherever you configure it to store them. On a
disk array, an NFS server, a Ceph cluster, a dedicated storage node, a
controller or even a compute node. And more.

My guess: Volumes on controllers or compute nodes are not a good
solution for production systems.

By default, Packstack implements Cinder volumes as LVM volumes on the
controller. It's probably possible to put the LVM volumes on other
nodes, and it is definitely possible to configure a different backend
than LVM, for example Netapp, in which case the volumes would be on a
Netapp appliance.