[Openstack] Seeking user/operator feedback on the vision for OpenStack clouds

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 21:08:19 UTC 2018

The TC is leading an initiative to write down a vision for what
OpenStack clouds could eventually look like - essentially interpreting
the OpenStack Mission Statement at a level of detail that's sufficient
to inform technical and governance decisions. You can read the current
draft here:

http://logs.openstack.org/05/592205/5/check/openstack-tox-docs/24a6785/html/reference/technical-vision.html

Feedback from the technical community suggests to me that it's getting
pretty close to accurately capturing what we thought we should have been
building. However, there's obviously no point in developers doing this
in isolation if the thing we describe isn't what actual or potential
operators and users of OpenStack want. Thus, we're seeking feedback from
the wider OpenStack community on the vision. There are a number of ways
to get involved:

* You can comment directly on the review https://review.openstack.org/592205

* Replies to this thread are also welcome.

* There will be a brief presentation on this topic at the joint
leadership meeting with the Board, UC, and TC in Berlin:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/12Nov2018BoardMeeting

* Attend this Forum session at the Summit in Berlin where we'll be
listening to feedback and discussing the next steps:
https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22818/vision-for-openstack-clouds-discussion

I look forward to hearing from y'all :)

thanks,
Zane.