[Openstack] HA Compute & Instance Evacuation

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Mon May 7 07:06:46 UTC 2018

+++ Torin Woltjer [02/05/18 20:39 +0000]:
>> There is no HA behaviour for compute nodes.
>>
>> You are referring to HA of workloads running on compute nodes, not HA of
>> compute nodes themselves.
>It was a mistake for me to say HA when referring to compute and instances. Really I want to avoid a situation where one of my compute hosts gives up the ghost, and all of the instances are offline until someone reboots them on a different host. I would like them to automatically reboot on a healthy compute node.
>
>> Check out Masakari:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Masakari
>This looks like the kind of thing I'm searching for.
>
>I'm seeing 3 components here, I'm assuming one goes on compute hosts and one or both of the others go on the control nodes? Is there any documentation outlining the procedure for deploying this? Will there be any problem running the Masakari API service on 2 machines simultaneously, sitting behind HAProxy?

Check for 'Instance HA':

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/instance-ha

Which more or less came with:

https://github.com/beekhof/osp-ha-deploy/blob/master/pcmk/compute-managed.scenario
https://github.com/beekhof/osp-ha-deploy/blob/master/pcmk/controller-managed.scenario

Ansible scripts are at git://github.com/redhat-openstack/tripleo-quickstart-utils

And enabled via: ansible-playbook
/home/stack/ansible-instanceha/playbooks/overcloud-instance-ha.yml \
-e release="RELEASE"

This of course requires a valid HA deployment setup on the controllers
(usually tripleO or OSP Director).

Regards,
Pablo