[Openstack] EC stability status in openstack swift

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Mar 23 15:39:53 UTC 2018

Erasure codes are widely deployed and used with Swift. You're right that EC is definitely more expensive, though. It will take more CPU and quite a bit more network management (more connections). Interestingly, the CPU overhead for the EC algorithms isn't all that much (small single-digit percentage differences). The biggest costs come from the increased number of network connections and having the OS manage that. For example, with 3x replicas, you've got 3 sockets to manage for writes and one for reads. For a 10+4 EC scheme, you've got up to 14 for both reads and writes. (Also make sure you're only using EC for objects that are bigger than 1MB.)

--John