[Openstack] Unable to start devstack at n-cpu.service

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:01:10 UTC 2018

The rngd service has nothing to do with your problem. It’s described as “Hardware RNG Entropy Gatherer Daemon” and probably fails because your DevStack runs in a VM, not on hardware.

>From what I see, n-cpu fails because Paramiko, the Python library that implements the SSH protocol, succeeds in importing a module named gssapi, but then fails accessing an attribute GSSException in gssapi. This looks like what I see here: https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/issues/584

It seems to me that you have the wrong Python module gssapi installed on that server. If you don’t use Kerberos for authentication, you shouldn’t have gssapi at all. When gssapi doesn’t exist, Paramiko doesn’t even try to access gssapi.GSSException.

Check if you have gssapi, and if so, remove it. Just look for a directory named *gssapi*, and do a pip uninstall on the name of that directory.

Bernd.