[Openstack] [Pike] [Nova] Shutting down VMs with Cinder Volumes

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Fri Mar 9 07:53:31 UTC 2018

Hi,

> My question is this: Can I shutdown the VMs, rebuild the compute
> nodes, and then relaunch the VMs?

Why shut them down? You could just migrate (cold or live) them to
other compute nodes and maintain your compute nodes one by one, this
would be possible without downtime.

Depending on your storage backend (if the disks and volumes do not
reside on the compute nodes) rebooting instances on upgraded compute
nodes should be no problem at all. The configuration of the instances
are in the database, and if the compute nodes don't have existing xml
files, they will be simply recreated.
Before our live migration worked I had to deal with some compute node
issues and changed the hosting compute node of some instances directly
in the database, and the instances came back up. So I don't see an
issue there, always under the prerequisite that the compute
configuration is correct and the storage backend is accessible by the
compute nodes, of course.

Hope this helps!