[Openstack] Network Planning

Nick A nick.bmth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:36:31 UTC 2018

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a small test Openstack deployment, 3 compute nodes and 5
ceph nodes. The part I'm struggling with is public/private networking.

Whilst I wait for the hardware to arrive, what I'm trying to work out
is exactly what I need to make this a reality, I've read everything I
can find but still not 100% sure:

1. Each customer/account has a private network (10.0.0.0/8 for
example) available
2. By default, VM's are provisioned with a public (internet routed IP)
NIC and a private NIC (connected to their private network).
3. No dedicated network node

Each compute node will have:
1G management connection
1G public internet connection, L3 for this will be done elsewhere.
40G private networking connection

Am I right in assuming the public network is essentially a flat
network, then I can use OVS for the private networks? Can that be done
at the same time? Is that possible without a dedicated network node?
If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
Nick