[Openstack] disable object-auditor for swift

Matthew Oliver matt at oliver.net.au
Thu Feb 15 23:01:24 UTC 2018

Hi Zorro,

The object auditor is protecting you from bit rot. And is the service that
will find corrupted files and quarantine them. So is rather important to
the health of your cluster. It isn't just there because of XFS.

We usually recommend XFS as when we store object metadata we store it as
extended attributes (xattrs) with the object. Ext4 only limits xattr space
to block size (at least be default) XFS isn't limited in xattr space. Just
a warning as you may have problems if a user attaches too much metadata to
an object.

Back to the auditor, there are auditor options you could make use of if you
wanted to "turn it down" a bit. Like changing the `interval` or tuning the
`files_per_second`, `bytes_per_second` or `zero_byte_files_per_second`.
If the main problem is it taking all your iops you can also use the
`nice_priority`, `ionice_class` and `ionice_priority` options to tell the
auditor to play nicer.
See the sample config file for configuration options and some description.
The commented out options and values are the defaults:
https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/stable/pike/etc/object-server.conf-sample#L388-L430

Regards,
Matt