[Openstack] Openstack Shift Write Minimum Node requirement

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Tue Feb 13 16:51:51 UTC 2018

This sounds like expected behavior with 3 storage nodes. In order for a write to successfully complete, it must be written to a quorum of storage devices. In the case of 3 replicas, the quorum is 2. By writing to two drives, Swift is providing some guarantees about the durability and availability of the data. A single copy is not durable, so a write to only a single drive will never return success to the client.

This means that you need at least 2 drives available in order to write to a 3 replica policy.

--John