[Openstack] [Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [all] Bringing the community together (combine the lists!)

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:08:56 UTC 2018

I think the more we can reduce the ML sprawl the better. I also recall us
discussing having some documentation or way of notifying net new signups of
how to interact with the ML successfully. An example was having some
general guidelines around tagging. Also as a maintainer for at least one of
the mailing lists over the past 6+ months I have to inquire about how that
will happen going forward which again could be part of this
documentation/initial message.

Also there are many times I miss messages that for one reason or another do
not hit the proper mailing list. I mean we could dive into the minutia or
start up the mountain of why keeping things the way they are is worst than
making this change and vice versa but I am willing to bet there are more
advantages than disadvantages.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM Jimmy McArthur <jimmy at openstack.org> wrote:

> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>
> On 2018-08-30 22:49:26 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>
> I really don't want this. I'm happy with things being sorted in
> multiple lists, even though I'm subscribed to multiples.
>
> IMO this is easily solved by tagging.  If emails are properly tagged
> (which they typically are), most email clients will properly sort on rules
> and you can just auto-delete if you're 100% not interested in a particular
> topic.

Yes, there are definitely ways to go about discarding unwanted mail
automagically or not seeing it at all. And to be honest I think if we are
relying on so many separate MLs to do that for us it is better community
wide for the responsibility for that to be on individuals. It becomes very
tiring and inefficient time wise to have to go through the various issues
of the way things are now; cross-posting is a great example that is
steadily getting worse.

> SNIP
>
> As the years went by, it's become apparent to me that this is
> actually an antisocial behavior pattern, and actively harmful to the
> user base. I believe OpenStack actually wants users to see the
> development work which is underway, come to understand it, and
> become part of that process. Requiring them to have their
> conversations elsewhere sends the opposite message.
>
> I really and truly believe that it has become a blocker for our
> community.  Conversations sent to multiple lists inherently splinter and we
> end up with different groups coming up with different solutions for a
> single problem.  Literally the opposite desired result of sending things to
> multiple lists.  I believe bringing these groups together, with tags, will
> solve a lot of immediate problems. It will also have an added bonus of
> allowing people "catching up" on the community to look to a single place
> for a thread i/o 1-5 separate lists.  It's better in both the short and
> long term.

+1

> Cheers,
> Jimmy