[Openstack] volume state (in-use/available) vs real work

Tomáš Vondra vondra at homeatcloud.cz
Fri Apr 27 09:29:39 UTC 2018

Hi!
whether this works or not depends on the backend. For example, on Fibre Channel, the VM would still see the same size, because it is still presented from the storage to the hypervisor with the same size. Changing it on the fly requires you to dig deep in Linux SCSI rescans and device mapper resizes, write some disk sizes manually.. Luckily, ext4 refuses to mount when the device is shorted than it should be.
A live migrate afterwards tends to help, though. It will get presented correctly to the new hypervisor without manual magic.

To make it short: This use case is not automated on OpenStack side.
Tomas