[Openstack] [Nova] Nova Instance Launches failing on stable/pike

N Vivekanandan n.vivekanandan at ericsson.com
Thu Apr 26 10:36:12 UTC 2018

Hi Nova Team,

With the latest cloned Pike repo  (devstack based setup), nova instance launches always fail with the following error:

>From Nova Conductor Logs
 [u'Traceback (most recent call last):\n', u'  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute/manager.py", line 1855, in _do_build_and_run_instance\n    filter_properties)\n', u'  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute/manager.py", line 2094, in _build_and_run_instance\n    instance_uuid=instance.uuid, reason=six.text_type(e))\n', u"RescheduledException: Build of instance ebff9064-f7c2-402a-8ae9-95d78aee8c24 was re-scheduled: operation failed: domain 'instance-00000001' already exists with uuid 98bc86be-104d-416f-b608-ed4dbb99a674\n"]

In the 'nova show <vm> '  output says like:

File \"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_db/sqlalchemy/enginefacade.py\", line 398, in _create_session                                                    |
|                                      |     self._start()                                                                                                                                                     |
|                                      |   File \"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_db/sqlalchemy/enginefacade.py\", line 484, in _start                                                             |
|                                      |     engine_args, maker_args)                                                                                                                                          |
|                                      |   File \"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_db/sqlalchemy/enginefacade.py\", line 506, in _setup_for_connection                                              |
|                                      |     \"No sql_connection parameter is established\")

However, nova-manage --debug api_db sync works correctly.
We have not configured CELLSV2 inside local.conf and so are using the default configurations.

We see a bug filed under Nova here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1734510
but the bug has been in 'Undecided' for a while now.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

--
Thakns,

Vivek