[Openstack] Glance image definition using V2 API

Cory Hawkless Cory at Hawkless.id.au
Thu Apr 19 04:15:33 UTC 2018

Looking for some help with defining glance images. I'm running a new Queens installation and do not have the V1 API enabled in Glance.

So the Glance V1 API has been deprecated for some time now (I believe) and best I can tell there is no support in the V2 API for defining an existing image into glance.
I.E, I have some volumes in my Ceph pool that I'd like to expose to Glance, but the old method of using "glance image-create --disk-format raw --id $IMAGE_ID  --location rbd://$CLUSTER_ID/$POOL/$IMAGE_ID/snap" no longer works because this is a V1 command with the V2 API having no support for the --location flag.

I'm primarily dealing with large(ish) windows images around 100GB mark, so exporting them to a file then importing them using the --file command is very sub optimal.

Without an outright database hack, is there any way to define an existing Ceph based volume to be used by Glance?
If there is not a way to do this then can I safely enable the V1 API in Queens? How long until V1 support is removed and I'm back to square 1

Thanks in advance
Cory