[Openstack] [pike] general how to get off the ground questions

John Fleming john at spikefishsolutions.com
Sun Apr 1 18:18:52 UTC 2018

Hi all, i've been playing around with Openstack for a while and have a
few questions. Technically I have a lot and its getting in the way of
watching Highlander 3 the apology.

My end goal is do be able to spawn images based loosely on
redhat/centos 5 and then coming up with a way to customize a base
image, then deploy. This is all lab stuff, nothing production.

I kind of got what i was looking using KVM and sawfish. What i didn't
like was needed to do all the network plumbing.  If someone can give
me some pointers that would be great.

Issues:

How do i setup my initial VM. I can't expect virtio to be supported so
i'll need e1000 and either a scsi or ide controller. I think i've seen
that glance can do this, but I haven't tested yet. I'm not
understanding if i need to do that every time i make a volume. Is that
something i can do via Heat as well?

How can i install via ISO? I've made a few attempts but failed. Just
to start from scatch, would the idea be attach 2 volumes. 1 iso and 1
for storage device? I'm assuming i could also just export a qcow2
image again with iscsi or ide disk,

I need to edit change interface names. I did this via sawfish by
making custom udev rules. Basically sawfish the image then boot. I
guess is sawfish support in there but I could just sawfish the raw
image before booting worst case just not sure if this is the correct
path forward or not.

I also want to do other customizations to a given vm. Again did this
via sawfish but for example i drop a /etc/rc.local.user which
configures things at first boot, removes rc.local.user and then
reboots. After this the VM is ready to go.

My setup
1 controller / network / storage / node,
r510 - 128gb ram, 12x2TB drives ( everything running on a raid 10 - md
split into 2 devices OS and iScsi store)) , 2x 10gbe - iscsi

1 compute
r620 - 256 gb ram, 4x 600MB drives, 2x 10gbe

1 deploy host
small atom based host.

I've been deploying with Kolla-Ansible if that was a question so
everything is Docker images.