[Openstack] DHCP for IPv6

Sterdnot Shaken sterdnotshaken at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 23:44:43 UTC 2017

So, after more digging, it appears DHCPv6 traffic coming from the test VM's
is being dropped at the Security Group (Linux Bridge) enforcement point ...
I can restart a VM's while doing a tcpdump on the respective tap interface
for that VM and see DHCPv6 request packets being sent out as expected, but
they never make it through the IPTables rules associated with the Linux
Bridge that represents the Security Group assigned to the VM. Hopefully
that makes sense.

The DHCPv6 packets seem to be getting dropped by the last IPTables Drop
rule:

Chain neutron-openvswi-sd36b2151-0 (1 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    0     0 RETURN     all      *      *       2604:ba00:ffff:fff2::b
::/0                 MAC FA:16:3E:05:C1:A3 /* Allow traffic from defined
IP/MAC pairs. */
    0     0 RETURN     all      *      *       fe80::f816:3eff:fe05:c1a3
::/0                 MAC FA:16:3E:05:C1:A3 /* Allow traffic from defined
IP/MAC pairs. */
* 6475  895K DROP       all      *      *       ::/0
::/0                 /* Drop traffic without an IP/MAC allow rule. */*

We've tried creating new Security Groups that explicitly allow ports, but
still no luck:

Ingress        IPv6     UDP     1 - 65535
Egress         IPv6     UDP     1 - 65535

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve