[Openstack] extend attached volumes

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Tue Sep 26 13:22:43 UTC 2017

Colleagues,

can't find ways to resize attached volume. I'm on Pike.

As far as I understand, it required to be supported in Nova, because
Cinder need to check with Nova whether it's possible to extend this volume.

Well,
- Nova's API microversion is 2.51, which seems to be enough to support
"volume-extended" API call
- Properties of image are *hw_disk_bus='scsi'* and
*hw_scsi_model='virtio-scsi'*, type bare/raw, located in Cinder
- hypervisor is KVM
- volume is bootable, mounted as root, created as snapshot from Cinder
volume
- Cinder's backend is CEPH/Bluestore

and both "cinder extend" and "openstack volume set --size" returns
"Volume status must be '{'status': 'available'}' to extend, currently
in-use".

I did not find any configuration options neither in nova nor in cinder
config files, which can help with this functionality.

What I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

--
Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison