[Openstack] [Fuel] Fuel 11 does not boot into setup menu, does not install successfully

Tomas Brännström tomas.a.brannstrom at tieto.com
Thu Sep 21 16:30:24 UTC 2017

Hi
I'm trying to install the Fuel 11 release in a Virtualbox VM, but to no
success. When the OS install is finished, instead of starting the fuelmenu,
I just get to a login prompt. Scrolling up the tty reveals a stack trace
from python:

+ fuelmenu --save-only --iface=eth0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bin/fuelmenu", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('fuelmenu=10.0.0', 'console_scripts', 'fuelmenu')()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fuelmenu/fuelmenu.py", line 385,
in main
    managed_iface=options.iface)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fuelmenu/fuelmenu.py", line 340,
in setup
    FuelSetup(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fuelmenu/fuelmenu.py", line 78, in
__init__
    self.main()

(sorry for any typos, I had to type it out by hand...)

Once logged in I can run fuelmenu without any arguments, but even after
doing the regular configuration there I can tell that everything hasn't
been successfully installed: the web GUI is not running and I can't ssh
into the VM. Also the install procedure usually takes a lot longer than
what I'm seeing here.

This is running in Virtualbox version 5.1.26r117224. The VM has two NIC's
(one NAT:ed and one bridged with the ADMIN vlan), if that matters.

We've been using Fuel 9 previously without issues.

/Tomas