[Openstack] QEMU/KVM crash when mixing cpu_policy:dedicated and non-dedicated flavors?

Tomas Brännström tomas.a.brannstrom at tieto.com
Fri Sep 15 09:56:34 UTC 2017

Hi
I just noticed a strange (?) issue when I tried to create an instance with
a flavor with hw:cpu_policy=dedicated. The instance failed with error:

Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer', u'code': 500,
u'details': u'  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 1926, in
_do_build_and_run_instance\n    filter_properties)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 2116,
in _build_and_run_instance\n    instance_uuid=instance.uuid,
reason=six.text_type(e))

And all other instances were shut down, even those living on another
compute host than the new one was scheduled to. A quick googling reveals
that this could be due to the hypervisor crashing (though why would it
crash on unrelated compute hosts??).

The only odd thing here that I can think of was that the existing instances
did -not- use dedicated cpu policy -- can there be problems like this when
attempting to mix dedicated and non-dedicated policies?

This was with Mitaka.

/Tomas