[Openstack] [heat] default collectors

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Wed Sep 13 08:47:10 UTC 2017

Hi colleagues,

when deploying VMs using Heat, os-collect-config automatically
configured for three collectors: heat, ec2 and local.

While I don't need for sure ec2, there is corresponding bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1669842 which suggests to remove
unconditional adding of this collector to the list.

What is 'local' collector needed for? There are lot of error messages
every 30 seconds in syslog:

Sep 13 11:39:12 vm os-collect-config[1570]: No local metadata found
(['/var/lib/os-collect-config/local-data'])
Sep 13 11:39:42 vm os-collect-config[1570]:
/var/lib/os-collect-config/local-data not found. Skipping

which impacts nothing except I understand that every 30 seconds process
tries to access this data. According to source code, it also added
unconditionally to the end of the list like this code:

collectors = ['ec2']
if heat then collectors.append('heat')
if zaqar then collectors.append('zaqar')
if cfn then collectors.append('cfn')
[ ... ]
collectors.append('local')

Is it safe to remove it from code as well as proposed in bug above?

Thank you.

--
Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison