[Openstack] Ocata Neutron Provider Network

Ryan iveymr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 21:16:38 UTC 2017

Previously, I had an OpenStack Mitaka on Ubuntu 14.04 implementation
configured with a flat provider network which worked w/out issue.

I'm now attempting to implement OpenStack Ocata on Ubuntu 16.04 with the
same flat provider network and cannot reach the allocated pool addresses
for the instances.

Compute nodes are configured as the following:

eth0: Internal 172.16.0.0/16 (non-routable to the Internet)

eth1: manual configuration

auto eth1

  iface  eth1 inet manual
  up ip link set dev $IFACE up
  down ip link set dev $IFACE down

eth2: External  XX.XX.XX.XX/28 (routable to the Internet)

Flat provider network contains a publicly routable allocated pool
XX.XX.XX.XX/26 (60 usable).  These IP's work if I manually add them to
the physical nic, so I know it's not a network issue.

Why can I not access the provider network within openstack?

Steps taken to create network:

openstack network create --share --external --provider-physical-network
provider --provider-network-type flat provider
openstack subnet create --network provider --allocation-pool
start=XX.XX.XX.XX,end=XX.XX.XX.XX --dns-nameserver 8.8.8.8 --gateway
XX.XX.XX.1 --subnet-range XX.XX.XX.XX/26 provider

Instances are properly allocated an IP from the pool.

Thanks,
Ryan