[Openstack] [ocata] [cinder] cinder-volume causes high cpu load

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Mon Oct 16 11:38:12 UTC 2017

Hi list,

last week we upgraded our Mitaka cloud to Ocata (via Newton, of
course) with ceph backend, and also upgraded the cloud nodes from
openSUSE Leap 42.1 to Leap 42.3. There were some issues as expected,
but no showstoppers (luckily).
So the cloud is up and working again, but our monitoring shows a high
CPU load for cinder-volume service on the control node. But since all
the clients are on the compute nodes we are wondering what cinder
actually does on the control node except initializing the connections
of course. I captured a tcpdump on control node and saw a lot of
connections to the ceph nodes, the data contains all these rbd_header
files, e.g. rb.0.24d5b04[...]. I expect this kind of traffic on the
compute nodes, of course, but why does the control node also establish
so many connections?

I'd appreciate any insight!

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983