[Openstack] Pike: cinder-volume causes high CPU load (Ceph backend)

Matthias Leopold matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 17 12:55:06 UTC 2017

Hi,

we are running a Cinder Pike instance with Ceph (luminous) backend for
use with oVirt (not openstack). We are experiencing the "cinder-volume
causes high CPU load" issue. In Cinder 11.0.0 we could successfully
apply the fix mentioned in
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/110709/ocata-cinder-volume-causes-high-cpu-load-ceph-backend/.
In Cinder 11.0.1
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cinder/volume/drivers/rbd.py changed,
but the high CPU load problem reappeared. I tried changing
"report_dynamic_total_capacity" (mentioned in the changelog), but it
didn't make a difference. Has anyone seen/fixed this?

thx
matthias