[Openstack] Fwd: [openstack][nova] Default availability zone

Ondrej Vasko ondrej.vaskoo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:35:01 UTC 2017

Hello Openstack,

I need a help with AZ in Nova. I think that this case wasn't discussed
before, I tried hard to google it and I find only one solution (below)
which I tried but doesn't work.

I have 2 availability zones (2 host aggregates each with 1 hypervisor
added). I try to create VM In Horizon with `Any Availability Zone` and it
results in following error:

The requested availability zone is not available (HTTP 400).

I want Nova to behave like that when Availability Zone is not specified (*Any
Availability Zone* is set in Horizon), it will create VM in random AZ.

In nova.conf I have set *default_schedule_zone = None* and restarted all
nova services. I think this should work.

I found it also in this blog post
<https://www.mirantis.com/blog/the-first-and-final-word-on-openstack-availability-zones/>
from Mirantis where it says:

> [DEFAULT]storage_availability_zone=AZ1
>

> However, most operators leave this at its default setting (None), because
> it allows users who don’t care about availability zones to omit it from
> their API call, and the workload will be scheduled to any availability zone
> where there is available capacity.

The commands I executed to create AZs are:

openstack aggregate create HA-Test1 --zone AZ-Test1 --property
> availability_zone=AZ-Test1
> openstack aggregate create HA-Test2 --zone AZ-Test2 --property
> availability_zone=AZ-Test2
> openstack aggregate add host HA-Test1 os-compute-01
> openstack aggregate add host HA-Test2 os-compute-02

I am using stable Pike release installed via Openstack-Ansible on Ubuntu
16.04.

--
Best Regards
Ondrej Vaško.