[Openstack] How to utilize Neutron independently with veths

duhongwei duhongwei at qiniu.com
Tue May 9 07:06:11 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm new to OpenStack and currently interested in the Neutron part of it. What I'm seeking is some advice about how to utilize Neutron independently, to build a virtual network, for Docker containers maybe.

Suppose I've already got Neutron and Keystone installed on controller node and compute nodes. I guess the following steps are required to test a virtual network.

1) create a network
2) create a subnet
3) create two pairs of veths (each pair represents a vm)
for each pair of them:
4) create a port for one end of the veth pair (passing veth's mac address as a parameter)
5) attach another end of the veth pair to ovs bridge
6) ping from one veth pair to another

The above is my general idea, don't know if it is correct and don't know the operation details either.
Expecting your suggestions, any links are appreciated.

Regards,
Dastan