[Openstack] [all][OSC] OpenStack Interpreter: A useful tool python interpreter tool for the OpenStack client libraries.

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Tue May 2 04:16:48 UTC 2017

Hello OpenStack folks,

As part of my dev work I recently put together a cool little tool which
lets me have much easier access to the various OpenStack python clients
in the scope of a python interpreter session. The first version was a
little rough and without os-client-config support. The current version
is now a plugin for the openstackclient and introduces a command that
simply authenticates you, sets up the environment and helper tools, and
then drops you into an ipython interactive session. The helper stuff is
fairly simple, but combined with the features of ipython it really lets
you start playing with the tools quickly, and by piggybacking onto
openstackclient I get access to a lot of the niceties and inbuilt auth
mechanisms.

It is useful for learning, testing, or development against the various
openstack client libraries, and even as an ops tool to quickly run some
basic actions without having to resort to weird or silly bash command
combinations.

I personally use it to test out commands or libraries I'm not familiar
with, or if I just need to work out what the output from something is.
Often even doing once off admin actions that require parsing through and
comparing different values and resources, but isn't worth writing a
script for.

My goal was to make something easy to use, and help almost anyone pick
up and start using the various python clients without needing to dig
through too much docs.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/openstack-interpreter

Feedback is welcome!

Cheers,