[Openstack] Deleting instance in error state does not free resources

Mikhail Medvedev mihailmed at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 20:11:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Georgios Dimitrakakis
<giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am setting up an Ocata installation from scratch and my problem is when
> some instances come up in ERROR state (for various reasons).
>
> Since they are not usable when they are deleted they still continue to
> consume resources (VCPUs, Number of Instances, RAM etc). This obviously
> affects the availability to new VMs.
>
> The only way is to clean them up using the "nova-manage project
> quota_usage_refresh"
>

> What could be wrong? Han anyone else encountered this?

I might have seen something similar while manually running tests on
devstack deployment. So it was a bit newer than Ocata. My test was
creating / deleting VMs over and over, and after awhile the default
quota of 10 instances got filled up, even though no VMs did exist. I
wrote it off as me doing something wrong, and just increased quota. I
suspect it was manifestation of the same problem with quotas not being
cleaned up. I had deleted quite a few VMs that where in error state. I
did not investigate this any further.