[Openstack] Production openstack on 5 node

Mike Smith mismith at overstock.com
Wed Jun 21 03:51:18 UTC 2017

There are definitely 1,001 opinions on what is “best”.  We use RDO at Overstock and we use home-grown puppet modules because we do our own puppet modules for everything else we do here.  We based everything around the official Openstack install documents and we do it because we want to *fully* understand everything we can instead of treating it like a black box that knows how to do the magic.

However, there are lots of options out there - ansible, kolla, puppet plus vendor-specific options too like those provided by Mirantis.  If there are config management tools (ansible, puppet, etc) that you already use, you may want to check out the Openstack options for those.  You are correct that that packstack is more of a ‘all-in-one-server’ installer for a quick POC.  It can to more, but I think RDO recommends “Triple-O” (which stands for Openstack-on-Openstack) for production RDO deploys.  Since they are affiliated with RedHat, they would also lean heavily towards the Ansible option as well.

Good luck!

Mike Smith
Overstock Cloud Team