[Openstack] How to configure the interfaces file using cloud-init (meta-data) or any other way?

Jorge Luiz Correa correajl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:35:53 UTC 2017

I need to customize/configure the file /etc/network/interfaces (or
50-cloud-init.cfg) from Ubuntu and Debian cloud images. My environment uses
IPv6 with stateless configuration so I have replace this:

--- generated by cloud-init ---
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto ens3
iface ens3 inet dhcp
---

with this:

---
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto ens3
iface ens3 inet dhcp
iface ens3 inet6 auto
  pre-up sleep 5
  dhcp 1
---

This configuration makes the instance generate theis IPv6s and get others
configurations from DHCPv6. The 'sleep' is due a Ubuntu bug.

How can I do that?

I need to customize the image before upload to OpenStack? Is there any way
to pass this configuration at boot time? Is there any way to force all
instances to have this configuration?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks.

- JLC