[Openstack] [Mirantis] How to keep ntpd down

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jul 21 01:41:51 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-21 05:56:48 +0530 (+0530), Raja T Nair wrote:
[...]
> Many other servers sync with this one too. Also only one
> controller had issues with time. Kind of stuck here, as I have no
> idea why one node's ntpd would fail :(
[...]

I've seen this from time to time over the years and it's nearly
always a bad RTC. Poor quality control is not unusual since the
manufacturers assume you either won't care or will use something
like NTP to keep things in reasonable sync, but sometimes you'll get
one which is well outside your ntpd's tolerance for drift and it'll
just flat refuse to update it. In those sorts of situations I've
pretty much always sent the server back or requested appropriate
replacement parts to service it myself on site.
--
Jeremy Stanley