[Openstack] A little lost with ovs + vxlan on home lab.

Randy.Perryman at dell.com Randy.Perryman at dell.com
Fri Jul 7 20:03:34 UTC 2017

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

You can
Post to     : openstack at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack at lists.openstack.org>

From: jimi olugboyega [mailto:jimiolugboyega at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 7, 2017 3:10 PM
To: John Fleming <john at spikefishsolutions.com>
Cc: openstack at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Openstack] A little lost with ovs + vxlan on home lab.

Hello All,

Can anyone please unsubscribe me from the mailing list?

Regards,
Olujimi Olugboyega.

On Jul 7, 2017 12:07 PM, "John Fleming" <john at spikefishsolutions.com<mailto:john at spikefishsolutions.com>> wrote:
Hi all, I've recently made my 6th or 7th attempt at openstack. I'm
attempting on ubuntu 16.04 with Ocata. I'm pretty at home with unix
and have a fairly solid networking back ground. That being said this
has been a kick in the giblets. On the plus side its given me a reason
to say "kicked in the giblets" on a public forum.

So before i get too far into this my goal is to be able to spin up
random VMs, some of which will be multi homed VMs (testing router
based VMs basically). Something kind of like what Cisco made with Virl
or GNS3. What i'm looking to do however is extend some of the networks
so they can be connected to remotely across a vxlan tunnel. I hope
that makes sense. Basically i want to use openstack to control all the
plumbing to spin up VM and create dhcp for each network and use vxlan
to bolt remote hosts onto the networks and have dhcp served up if
requested.

Now I don't think my understanding of openstack is there yet to even
make this work so i'd like to just baby step into this. Here is a link
to my topology. I'd completely settle for just being able to spin up a
single cirros VM and then maybe give it internet access.

10.0.0.0/24<http://10.0.0.0/24> API
10.0.1.0/24<http://10.0.1.0/24> VXLAN
192.168.1.0 my external network, leads to inet. private IPs here still.

Here is a link to the gear i have setup.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVazG9WRlQAVHQ5aUVnVVRCVDA/view?usp=sharing

I've throw a lot against to wall to see what sticks so things are
fairly messy at this point. No problem throwing everything a way and
starting from scratch (again).

configs dumps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVazG9WRlQAaUlJNDJBdU9VdXM/view?usp=sharing

In the past i've see the dhcp netns get created on the controller but
i've never seen it get created on the compute node. Again much was
thrown again said wall. Currently a lot has been wiped away. The
current status is i just blew away all the databases and recreated
everything and with network.

Thanks all!