[Openstack] Instance associated with private network does not receive ip address after restarting server

Chris Dennis Tomás Horna chris.tomas20 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:33:35 UTC 2017

Hi,

My environment is: Openstack Newton with 1 controller node, 1 compute node
and 1 storage node, each running inside a VM.

Apparently it is related to shutting down the server. Then when I go to
turn on the server, OpenStack goes up but with the VM in "shutdown" mode
and forces me to restart the VM. Upon reactivation of the VM, the instance
rises without an assigned IP address. However if I recreate the instance,
it goes up with an IP correctly and I notice that only happens in VMs that
are in a private network (in my setup called 'selfservice')

The problem described above does not occur for VMs that are in my external
network (in my setup called 'provider').

Is this normal? is there a way to assign IP to the VM automatically without
use fixed ip address?

Any help regarding would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

PS - related to:
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/102462/instance-associated-with-private-network-does-not-receive-ip-address-after-restarting-server/