[Openstack] Selection of handoff nodes logic

Sai Vishwas saivishwasp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:14:15 UTC 2017

Hi,
         I have read that if a primary node is unavailable for an object
PUT, the proxy will ask the ring for a handoff node and route there
instead. I am very interested to know the working of handoff nodes.

         I would like to know the logic behind determining the location of
a handoff node. Does a ring have have a fixed set of handoff nodes
throughout its lifetime ? Is it a dedicated node used only for handoff
purposes ? If not how to determine whether a particular node can be used
for hand off purposes or not/

         It would be very helpful if you could either elaborate or provide
links to articles explaining everything about hand off nodes.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sai Vishwas