[Openstack] Computer Science Master's Thesis Topics?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Dec 6 20:33:35 UTC 2017

So that's part of scheduling; but likely only a part of it; it depends
on the matrix of resources you want to schedule on (just compute node
targets, or compute nodes + network resources or ...)

If u want, looking at how the filter scheduler works in nova is a good
start.

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/scheduler/filter_scheduler.py
(prob. also read the new stuff around placement and claims and ...)

There has been other attempts at using constraint systems for this:

https://github.com/openstack/nova-solver-scheduler

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/210549/ was something I started a while
ago (read for reference if you want).

IMHO there is a lot of research potential and experiments that can be
ran, especially if you start to decrease the delay between 'actual
resource set available' (what is really being used) and 'predicted
resource set available' (ie what the scheduler knows about) [note there
there is a eventual consistency problem here].

I'm sure there are bunches of other papers available to, including
various ones from google borg and ...

So ya, imho a pretty 'fresh' area for things to be messed with...