[Openstack] Accessing from and to VM instances without using a floating IP

Andrea Franceschini andrea.franceschini.rm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:30:06 UTC 2017

Hello Bernd,

thank you for taking time in answering:)

Unfortunately one of the problems in my configuration is that L3 is
handled directly from ToR switches which do not support NAT, and as
far as I understand NAT should happen at L3 router.

So it's not really a matter of will , I actually can't do NAT. :(

Moreover I feel the question goes a little deeper than the simple use,
or not use, of NAT, what I really want to understand is if I, in order
to handle software deployment in my project, HAVE to make all VM
instances reachable from outside.

This bothers me as I can imagine a number of situations where VM need
to be reached only from other VM in the tenant but not from outside.

What I'm really looking for is some sort of "out of band" access to
the VMs that leaverage on the same mechanism used for metadata.

Thanks,

Andrea