[Openstack] transfer of IP address between ports

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Thu Aug 24 04:24:37 UTC 2017

Hi Clint,

see inline, please.

On 8/24/17 2:21 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> This is precisely the reason floating IPs that NAT to other IPs exists
> (not, as we think, to provide public IP access... we can do that with
> fixed IPs).
>
> Moving ports, moving the IP, they all involve a few layers of cache
> invalidation and complex manipulation at the lower networking layers. But
> changing a NAT destination is relatively instant.
>
> I'd recommend you using a floating IP for this. If you can't, please
> explain.
It's going to be public cloud and there can be few reasons to allow
customer to move pubic IP address between his VMs, e.g. he built another
VM using another OS for same role and need to move this role from old VM
to new VM, do not changing other infrastructure's configurations.

Thanks.

> Excerpts from Volodymyr Litovka's message of 2017-08-23 16:58:32 +0300:
>> Hi colleagues,
>>
>> imagine, somebody (e.g. me :-) ) needs to transfer IP address between
>> two ports. The straight way is: release IP address and then assign it to
>> another port.
>>
>> The possible problem with this way is time between release and
>> assignment - during this time, this IP address is in DHCP pool and can
>> be automatically assigned to some another port upon request.
>>
>> Any ideas how to prevent leasing this IP address during this time?
>>
>> Thank you.

Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison