[Openstack] Ocata The placement API endpoint not found on Ubuntu

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 08:15:10 UTC 2017

On 08/18/2017 08:50 AM, Divneet Singh wrote:
> Hello, I have trying to install ocata on Ubuntu 16.04 , for the time
> being i have 2 nodes . just can't figure this out.
>
> I have setup Placement API. But get error after restart nova service or
> reboot
>
> " 017-08-18 08:27:41.496 1422 WARNING nova.scheduler.client.report
> [req-17911703-827e-402d-85e8-a0bb25003fe3 - - - - -] The placement API
> endpoint not found. Placement is optional in Newton, but required in
> Ocata. Please enable the placement service before upgrading.  "
>
> And on the controller node when I run the command .
> openstack at controller:~$ sudo nova-status  upgrade check
> | Upgrade Check Results                       |
> | Check: Cells v2                        |
> | Result: Success                             |
> | Details: None                            |
> | Check: Placement API                    |
> | Result: Failure                             |
> | Details: Placement API endpoint not found.                        |
> | Check: Resource Providers                     |
> | Result: Warning                             |
> | Details: There are no compute resource providers in the Placement |
> |   service but there are 1 compute nodes in the deployment.        |
> |   This means no compute nodes are reporting into the              |
> |   Placement service and need to be upgraded and/or fixed.         |
> |   See     |
> | http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/placement.html
> <http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/placement.html>         |
> |   for more details.
>
> I followed the the ocata guide given in the documentation by the letter .
>
> After a feedback i got , just to make sure placement service configured
> in the service catalog:
> $  openstack catalog show placement
> +-----------+------------------------------------+
> | Field     | Value                              |
> +-----------+------------------------------------+
> | endpoints | RegionOne                          |
> |           |   admin: http://controller:8778    |
> |           | RegionOne                          |
> |           |   public: http://controller:8778   |
> |           | RegionOne                          |
> |           |   internal: http://controller:8778 |
> |           |                                    |
> | id        | 825f1a56d9a4438d9f54d893a7b227c0   |
> | name      | placement                          |
> | type      | placement                          |
> +-----------+------------------------------------+
>
> $ export TOKEN=$(openstack token issue -f value -c id)
> $ curl -H "x-auth-token: $TOKEN" $PLACEMENT
> {"versions": [{"min_version": "1.0", "max_version": "1.4", "id": "v1.0"}]}
>
> I think this means that Placement service is configured correctly .
>
> Do i need to configure a web server on the compute node  ?

No, you definitely do not need to configure a web server on the compute
node.

My guess is that the [keystone_authtoken] section of your nova.conf file
on either or both of the controller and compute nodes is not correct or
doesn't match what you have in your rc file for the openstack client.

The nova-status command and the service daemons in Nova do not get their
connection information from the rc file that the openstack client uses.
Instead, they look in the [keystone_authtoken] section of the nova.conf
files.

So, make sure that your [keystone_authtoken] section of nova.conf files
contain proper information according to this documentation:

https://docs.openstack.org/ocata/config-reference/compute/nova-conf-samples.html

Best,
-jay