[Openstack] How does OpenStack fit (or not) with Cloud Foundry

Mark Voelker mvoelker at vmware.com
Tue Aug 8 03:44:51 UTC 2017

Probably the most common use case I see is when OpenStack is used as an underpinning IaaS on top of which you deploy CF:

https://cloudfoundry.org/multi-cloud/
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/

There’s also a fairly common “sub-usecase”: an organization deploys OpenStack, then deploys CloudFoundry on top of it.  Some workloads use OpenStack directly (as they’re built for an IaaS) while others are deployed via CloudFoundry (as they’re build for a PaaS).  In these situations you’re still running all workloads atop OpenStack so there’s a certain amount of resource control you can exert (e.g. I’ve seen some CF deployed in a tenant that has quota limits placed on it such that CF can’t consume more than some percentage of the available disk/memory/CPU/etc) and there are some potential advantages as far as capacity management, administration, etc (these will vary from organization to organization).

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker