[Openstack] Strange: lost physical connectivity to compute hosts when using native (ryu) openflow interface

Gustavo Randich gustavo.randich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 21:26:14 UTC 2017

(using Mitaka / Ubuntu 16 / Neutron DVR / OVS / VXLAN / l2_population)

This sounds very strange (to me): recently, after a switch outage, we lost
connectivity to all our Mitaka hosts. We had to enter via iLO host by host
and restart networking service to regain access. Then restart
neutron-openvswitch-agent to regain access to VMs.

At first glance we thought it was a problem with the NIC linux driver of
the hosts not detecting link state correctly.

Then we reproduced the issue simply bringing down physical interfaces for
around 5 minutes, then up again. Same issue.

And then.... we found that if instead of using native (ryu) OpenFlow
interface in Neutron Openvswitch we used ovs-ofctl, the problem disappears.

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.